1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Worm production!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Apr 17, 2020.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was told it gets hot when composting. Another thing I read was a lot of people use horse manure. Horse has been wormed by by worms. Apparently it should be left for a minimum of 3 months before putting it on your worm patch

Rod Bender likes this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    OK lime is akaline, so I am guessing the lawn clippings may be acidic, i am not that keen on clippings but the stuff that collects in your gutters etc is great , and any dropped leaves.
    Pete

Master Baiter, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    S
    Spot on Kev

kev209 likes this.
  4. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    And I will! There is a place I fish which is part of a 'nature reserve'. It contains scrubbies when it is wet but you are not allowed to dig. If this works on all worms...problem solved!

I did some research and the practise is referred to as 'worm grunting' in some areas. One reason for its success is that it mimmicks a mole and the worms flee. No moles here but I hope it will have the same effect.

As for my worm bed, it was covered in sugar cane mulch today.
    20200422_124808.jpg
    And then the 'covers' were put in place.
    20200422_125715.jpg
    Before I put the mulch on, I dug a bit to see how wet it was...and I saw a worm! :cool: Didn't think they would turn up so quickly. I wet it up a bit more and with rain coming this weekend...things are looking good!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Heading towards an endless supply of bait for the war a against CC!

Madfisher, blair and Albatross1 like this.
  6. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Put some weight on those hessian bags - bricks, old timber, etc. The worms will come up.

CC
    Is going to use worms tomorrow!

blair, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I tried a couple of times to breed scrubbies, never had any success, My late father converted one of his old vegy patches to a worm patch, the flat tails he was getting from it were as big as scrubbies .

Madfisher, Rod Bender and blair like this.
  8. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim are you going to put up a Scarecrow or are you taking up Bird watching as well? Just curious.
    Wally

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not sure what you are saying? I will need a scarecrow? No intentions anyway.
    Cheers
    Jim

blair, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  10. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    You will have Birds scratching in there and you will breed Slater's by the dozen. Even if you have no Birds now you will have plus Mice and possums I get Snakes eating worms too if I leave the top off and Magpies in no time appear.

blair, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not too worried about it Wally. I would guess there will be a few earwigs as well.
    Some of the wildlife you mention will not be an issue here. As for birds, I will make sure I do not leave the top off.
    Cheers
    Jim

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I have thrown more vegie scraps on and the worm bed has been wet due to rain. After talking to someone, I decided to turn the topsoil over once more knowing that the top 10cms of soil did not have much organic matter. It is looking promising as I uncovered this one which was a good size.
    20200523_133239.jpg
    And there was a larger one which basically, was as good a worm that you will get out of your backyard for fishing! Unfortunately it suffered 'death by shovel'! :eek: There were a few smaller ones as well so it is looking good.

I put another layer of cane mulch over it and covered it with the hessian. Now I will leave it alone with the exception of adding vegie scraps and watering it.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Worm soil scientist.

13. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    sounds great mate. I buried another half doz carp in mine as well, ran the mower over some autmn leaves and tipped them on as well. Checked under the leaves and there are heaps yesterday. Only problem i have two Catfish in a tank that have big appetites.
    Pete

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Could always eat the catfish MF:D

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  15. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Shock , horror eat my pets, I have two Bass in the same tank as well brought last October . The catties where about 50mm and the bass about half that , the catties would now be approaching 200mm and the bass about 75mm. LOL, i have found the catties like cat Biscuits, but can not let Sal see me feeding them to my cats PMSL.
    Pete

blair and kev209 like this.