1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Yamaha 80hp 4 Stroke Or Envinrude Etec 90hp

Discussion in 'Boats' started by GALVO, Aug 12, 2007.

1. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    I have decided that it is time to upgrade my boat. I have decided to get a Mako Craft 480 Pro Series.

This boat is rated to 90 Hp Maximum. I haven't yet decided on what engine to put on the back of it.

I am not sure to put a Yamaha 80 Hp 4 Stroke or an Envirude Etec 90HP.

I have done heaps of research on both engines and watched all the promo dvds on all the engines.

I have a soft spot for Yammies and at the moment leaning towards the Yammie.

Just wondering if any member has had experience with either engine particuarly the 90 Etec.

Thanks in advance.

2. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I'm a firm believer of always maximise the OB.

A prolly go the 4stroke Yammy as personal choice.

3. Coonta Kinta

Coonta Kinta New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Galvo, both units are very similar in many respects. The DI 2 strokes offer many of the advantages of 4 strokes but are obviously lighter. (I'm sure u already know this) This however, may have a bearing on what HP engine u can place on the rear of your unit and may also effect its handling characteristics. Pretty sure I posted some links to another site where a user was in a quandry over fitting a Johnzuki to his makocraft or the etec. (Look for a similar post to yours from Bender I think).

I'd also be looking @ annual costs. eg maintenance etc. and trying to get some assurances from the dealers as to them. Even though the Etec is supposedly maintenance free for 3 years, I'm not certain that things like gearbox oil etc are included in this time frame.

You may also like to look @ other DI's. Optimax and TLDI being two that readily come to mind. The opti is a big heavy beast @ 173kg and is the same size as the 115. Its a powerful beast with plenty of torque. The TLDI is as good as the etec in my view (biased perhaps as I own one) with one exception. It does not have the torque of the etec, but is its equal in every other respect except inital purchase price and possible resale.

Good luck CK

4. Coonta Kinta

Coonta Kinta New Member

Jan 28, 2007
  5. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    Thanks for that CK.