1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

You can not catch Golden perch on fly.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Nov 11, 2019.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    thx jeff I will have a look at the cranx, ha ha silly buggers at shimano cant spell cranks I will email them and point out their mistake and teach them more betterer reeding and righting.
    Do your prefer the shorter rods for casting in confined spaces like creeks and under overhanging trees etc.

GOAT : low achiever in English lessons

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, the shorter rods are a lot easier to use when fishing skinny rainforest creeks up north, mainly to avoid getting hung up in vegetation when casting and also when pushing through lantana and other thick scrub to reach a creek. They are a better option when fishing from the kayak also.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Nothing wrong with your English Blair.
    Any double Dutchman could understand it.
    Noel
    Lover of the written word.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    blair and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Me being a bit of a shortarse may just use my normal length rod if I go fishing in the jungle haha, reminds me I "need" to replace my shortish 4 wt flyrod I broke a couple of years ago only used it for occaisional high country stream fishing.
    How u guys going whith the fires I believe theres one down your way Noel, still really smoky here and strong westerly going to make it worse, got smoked off the job the other week in Sydney, never had that happen before but far better than what happened the other day.

5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    No major fire problems Blair.
    The major one is north of Batemans Bay so is perhaps 70kms or more from here.
    But we've sure had some smoke. The other day houses across our street were fuzzy, it was so thick.
    Not recommended for people with any sort of chest problems to be out in.
    That specifically included heart and lung issues. I stayed inside.
    Noel

kev209, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    S--t that is heavy smoke, should hang some fish fillets up outside nothing like a cold smoked bit of fish!

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Never thought of that

kev209 likes this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    u may get some odd looks from your neighbours but

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016

Blair, the pic below is typical of the water I fish in the wet tropics for jungle perch and sooty grunter. A stealthy approach is the secret and most casts would be no more than 5 or 6 metres with the occasional one up to 10 at the most.
    Wet tropics.jpg

Jeff

10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Bloody beautiful, Lyn agrees. What I've seen of Australia has been through the windscreen of a truck. I spent a bit of time in the Hotel International room 190.

diesel and blair like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    nice and tranquil I guess there would be the odd barra and other suprises in some of those places. And no crowds.
    how many meg is your camera and the quality of those pictures u posted of when u were a kid in the fifties and other pics are outstanding do u just take a pic of the old photo whith a digital camera?

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Practically all the streams where I chase JP's and Grunter are well above the barra waters and also too high up in the ranges for crocs. I have encountered the occasional taipan and whip snakes, but never had any problems with them. Definitely no crowds, in fact my mate & myself hardly ever come across anybody at all when we spend a day in the mountain country, it's all catch and release fishing that doesn't appeal to a lot of Qld fishos.

My camera is a little compact Canon IXUS 115HS, 12.1 MP - nothing flash about it, basically a point & shoot model that takes a decent pic. As for the old images, I scanned them with a flatbed scanner.

The bride uses a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300, too complicated for my feeble brain to operate. It takes great photos and has some very high tech features such as 'burst' mode where it will take 30 images per second - fantastic for action shots.

Jeff

Madfisher, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    good theres no crocs, wouldn't like to be in a canoe near one. used to have a lot of fun spinning for bream up the creeks around here. I will scan some old pics, good way to keep them safe as well. My new action cam has many picture modes I have yet to use hopefully get some good fishing vids on it over the break. Going to check wheather now just got text saying no work till Monday! yay.

14. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Wow beautifull,
    Pete

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm keen to see some of your vids, Blair. I was thinking about getting a GoPro a while back, but didn't want to outlay the big bucks for a gadget that may not get much use. The problem with carrying my compact Canon camera is that I have to keep it in a dry bag until I want to use it and it's a pain in the arse having to unwrap it, snap a photo and then bundle it up again in case I end up going head first into a deep hole which has happened on more than one occasion.

A waterproof action camera is on the list of Xmas presents I'm thinking of buying myself this year, along with maybe a good second-hand dual cab ute to replace my old Landcruiser, a new rod or two and of course a couple of reels to go with them, some braid and I definitely need some more sp's. It looks like Santa likes me.

Jeff

kev209, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Heres a vid to show what to expect from akaso EK7000 pro, whith waterproof case on no vent holes in case which I am going to try next whith supplied vented case door. A couple of laps of Nowra motocross track going slow to warm up engine for first lap then having a run whith a CR480 on my 1977 yz125d. Sound is fairly muffled I think it will sound great whith vents which can easily be taped up if starts raining etc.
    Tried to upload, wont work file too big. If you like email me at kle47118@bigpond.net.au and I will reply whith the vid 1.5 GB. Meanwhile I will see if I can compress the file or something to make it work on tbx for future vids.
    Going to nip down to bcf and have a look at one of those seagar rods.

kev209, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    1.5GB is a too big for my plan. Have you got a YouTube channel?

Jeff

18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    no, do you know get a you tube channel. the vid is 1 516 141 kb I am not sure if is 1.5 MB or 1.5 GB.
    I think I also need to see a shrink I keep getting thoughts in my head that I need fishing rods, reels, etc I know your bride is one but no point seeing her cause I know she hasn't cured your "addiction" either ha ha. Just picked up Diawa Seajigger SJ325M 10"6" replaces old faithfull Jarvis Walker "sea hunter" from BCF $176.00 I got them to price match one that Mo tackle had on special. 6 TO 9 KG line 30g to 100g lure.